Table of Contents

2019 Month : July Volume : 8 Issue : 30 Page : 2389-2392

TRANSFUSION REQUIREMENTS OF SICK NEONATES IN INTENSIVE CARE UNIT.

Mini Chellamma Viswanathan1, Sajith Vilambil2, Kumari Krishnakumariamma Chakrapani Usha3

Corresponding Author:
Dr. Sajith Vilambil,
Associate Professor,
Department of Transfusion Medicine,
Government Medical College,
Thrissur, Kerala, India.
E-mail: drsajithmenon@gmail.com

ABSTRACT

BACKGROUND

Eighty five percent of babies admitted to hospital care with extremely low birth weight is receiving some type of blood component transfusion. In such a scenario, if the frequency of transfusion is reduced, the associated donor exposure and adverse reactions can be decreased. Risk based estimation of blood usage can identify those infants who are likely to require transfusion. We wanted to describe usage pattern of blood and blood components in the intensive care unit of a speciality centre.

METHODS

The research was descriptive type in nature. The study was performed on neonates with a gestational age less than 37 weeks and/or a birth weight of less than 2500 grams admitted to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) of Sri Avittom Thirunal Hospital (SATH), Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram. The sample size was 150. Demographic characteristics and details of transfusion related to mother and baby were collected. SPSS software version 16 was used for statistical analysis.

RESULTS

Among study subjects, 23.3% required one unit of red cells, 36% required two units of PRC, 35.3% required three units and 5.3% required four units during their hospital stay. Among FFP transfused babies, 17.4% received one unit, 32.6% received two units, 34.9% received three units and 15.1% received four units during their hospital stay. On analysis, 42.7% of the neonates received red cells alone and 57.3% of the neonates received both red cells and Fresh Frozen Plasma (FFP). On analysing the usage of platelet concentrate among neonates, 34.6% received one unit of platelet concentrate, 48.1% received two units and 17.3% received three units during their hospital stay. On assessment, 34.7% received platelet concentrate along with red cells while the rest 65.3% received red cells only.

CONCLUSIONS

Multiple transfusions were common among neonates. Majority of infants received multiple components too.

KEY WORDS

Low Birth Weight, Newborn, Transfusion, Red Blood Cell, Platelet, Fresh Frozen Plasma

Videos :

watch?v

Download Download [ PDF ] Article Article Email Send to a friend References References Page Views Page Views(143) Facebook ShareFacebook Share Twitter ShareTwitter Share